We’re looking for a new voice in children’s playwriting with our inaugural playwriting competition. This is your chance to win a full-scale production of your play at Express!
Our Playwriting Competition is open to everyone!
***By submitting your play, you agree to all the terms and conditions of the competition as outlined on this site.***
– A full-scale production of your play
– A DVD recording of the show
– Copies of the program
– Select audience comments.
– Your photo and biography will be featured on our website and your biography will be included in marketing materials.
ENTRY IS FREE! Send in your script(s) today.
Please register online for faster service. We prefer electronic submissions but will also accept mailed submissions. Please mail to: 446 Northwest Mall Houston, TX 77092. We cannot return submitted manuscripts so keep a copy for your records.
All scripts must be accompanied by an Official Entry Form. Photocopies of the Official Entry Form are acceptable. You may enter more than one script.
Please include a title page with your name, address, e-mail address and telephone number.
Your submissions can be based on an original idea or adapted from a fairy tale, legend, myth or cultural tale. They may also include music and lyrics as long as you own the legal rights. Submissions must:
1. Have a running time between 25 and 60 minutes.
2. Be family-friendly in subject matter and language; darker themes can be explored but in an appropriate way. Our audiences range from children kindergarten through 12th grade and their parents.
3. Be typed in acceptable play format. Online submissions must be in .doc, .docx, .rtf, or PDF formats. Do not send submissions by certified mail or signature required delivery.
4. Include your name, address, email address and phone number on the title page. Please type name and script title on all subsequent pages.
5. If you are entering more than one manuscript electronically, you may attach them to one email. If you entering more than one script by post, you may include several entries in the same envelope.
NOTE: This competition is open to everyone without age or geographic restriction. However, all minors must provide signed parental consent. Plays may be submitted in any language as long as a full English translation is included. Script must not have been produced in Texas within the last 5 years.
The Executive Director of Express Children’s Theatre and assigned judges will have sole discretion over the manner in which the winners are determined. All decisions and awards are final. Judges reserve the right to withhold prizes in any category under extraordinary circumstances.
Winners will be notified by phone or email by October 1, 2014. You may be asked to make changes to your script before and/or during rehearsals.